This all-time favorite recipe is low carb since it does not include the classic breadcrumb topping as found in the standard recipe thereof, yet it remains immensely flavorsome. The cheese measurements are suggestions only – you may add more if you wish. Grated parmesan is freely available but I prefer to use a vegetable peeler and use shavings of parmesan cheese – which incidentally crisp up in the oven. Serve with green vegetables such as steamed green beans lightly drizzled with olive oil and cracked pepper or serve with a simple tossed salad.
- 2 x 4 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup no-sugar-added spaghetti sauce such as Hunt’s No-Sugar-Added Italian Baking Sauce or Classico Spicy Red Pepper Spaghetti Sauce.
- ½ cup (or more) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon (or more) grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 375oF
- Spray a shallow, small baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Season each side of chicken breasts with garlic salt and Italian seasoning to your liking and place in the baking dish.
- Spoon the pasta sauce equally over each breast.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle equally with the cheese.
- Place chicken back in the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes and until cheese has melted.
- Alternatively, sprinkle cheeses over the chicken place under the grill until the cheese has melted and is crispy.
- Serve with a green vegetable or a tossed salad.