This is a very versatile and extremely healthy focaccia bread recipe. Its gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free and low carb. The versatility of this keto bread recipe is that it goes beyond being good for sandwiches – it can be toasted or frozen and this recipe can very successfully be doubled.
The main ingredient in this recipe is flaxseed – a high-fiber super food. It comprises Omega-3 essential fatty acids that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. The lignans in flaxseed alter the way estrogens are metabolized in your body, making them safer, and the fiber helps keep digestion running smoothly.
This recipe is not like a traditional focaccia and has a bread-like texture.
2 cups roughly ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
1 tablespoon Italian herb mix
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large eggs
½ cup water
⅓ cup avocado oil or light olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 13×9 ‘’ baking pan with parchment paper draped over the sides. Set aside.
2. Combine flax seed with baking powder, herb mix and sea salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine fully and set aside.
3. Add eggs, water and oil to the jug of your blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until very foamy.
4. Transfer liquid mixture to the bowl with the flaxseed mixture. Stir with a spatula, just until incorporated. The mixture will be very fluffy. Once incorporated, allow to sit for 3 minutes.
5. Drop mixture into prepared baking pan. Smooth with the back of the spatula and transfer the pan to the preheated oven.
6. Bake bread for 20 minutes, until top is golden. Remove from the oven and lift bread (from the parchment paper sides) to a cooling rack. Peel the parchment paper from the bottom of the bread and allow the bread to cool on the cooling rack for an hour.
7. Cut into 12 pieces.
8. Bread can be toasted or frozen. Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The recipe was adapted from https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2014/08/flaxseed-focaccia-bread/